AMANDA PETERSON

 

Powered by Blogger Pro™

Sunday, April 18, 2004

 
9am
Well I was late to work this morning because when I stepped out the front door there was an injured bird on the front lawn. How sick, injured, and abandoned animals find me is incredible. There must be some type of underground railroad for birds, ducks, cats, and rabbits, that lead to my place. What amazes me is that they must have updated their underground railroad pretty quickly since I just moved. Anyways, I'm not sure if the bird was just slightly injured or has a broken foot or wing, it was kind of sitting there kind of funny. I'm not sure what type of bird it is, but it looks pigeon like without the normal pigeon colors. So I put it in a cat carrier with some bread and water and its in my laundry room now (away from the cats). I googled "wildlife rehabilitators(sp?)" and came up with Michele Calabretta Nicarry, Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator, which is just like twenty minutes away from where I live (super cool). I called her and left a message, maybe she can tell me how to handle Floppers (I named him Floppers because he(she) kind was flopping around out there in the yard. I can't keep it of course, but maybe I can help it get better. On her website it says not to give the bird food or water, which I of course did, I hope she doesn't yell at me for that.

12:30pm
Okay, Michele called me about Floppers and gave me some really good advice and also the phone number to another person that can help me. What I'd like to do is get Floppers out on his own by myself without having to take him(her) anywhere. Turns out Floppers is a song bird, and this particular type of songbird likes to hang out on the roads in the morning to warm up. Mayhap Floppers was only blown into my yard by a truck and was just kind of dazed and confused. I called this other number, they called me back, but I was in the bathroom. So I'm calling them again. Its amazing how many folks out there are involved with taking care of injured wild animals.

3pm
Okay, Floppers is going to the Wild Wings Rehabilitation Center in Coatesville tonight, so long as I get home before it gets dark. If its dark when I get home, they said its okay for Floppers to wait til morning. I am supposed to try to see if Floppers will fly away on his own.

4/18/2004 07:31:00 AM
Comments: Post a Comment
Comments by: YACCS